HackCU Hacker Guide
We’re so excited to have you at HackCU! We’ve put together this comprehensive hacker guide to help you get ready for the big weekend. We’ve included important information regarding logistics, events, and resources in this guide.
Before the event
What to Bring
Valid ID - Make sure to bring your government-issued or student ID. We will need this in order to check you in. You will also need this if you’d like to check out hardware.
- Laptop, Phone, Chargers, and Other Devices - Don’t forget to bring your chargers and extra batteries for any device you’ll be using.
- Comfortable clothes.
- Notebook/ Paper & Pen
SEEC Building, 4001 Discovery Dr
Boulder, CO 80303
HackCU will take place Saturday, February 23rd 2019 at the SEEC building at the University of Colorado Boulder, 4001 Discovery Dr, Boulder, CO 80303.
If you are coming by car, you will need to get a parking permit. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Go to cuboulder.pmreserve.com.
- Select HackCU event
- Add permit to cart. It will say that cost is $10, don’t panic though. We got you!
- Enter promo code HACK4207. Total should go down to $0.
- Press Continue to checkout.
- Fill all the details asked (including vehicle details).
- Print permit and remember to bring it with you during the event! Don’t worry if you forget to do so, we can print the permit at the venue itself as well.
Be sure to follow directions on the signs indicating where you can park. Parking outside of green areas on the map are not valid for the issued permit!!
Checking-in at HackCU
In order to make check-in go smoother, please show us the QR code you got in your email when checking in. You can also find it online at my.hackcu.org. You will be provided with a badge. Please wear the badge at all times.
During the Event
The #1 rule is “Be respectful”.
Please read HackCU’s code of conduct and MLH’s code of conduct. We require all hackers to abide by these rules. Also read the rules of the competition in our live page.
Hacking will only be available from Saturday 12:00PM to Sunday 12:00PM
HackCU is meant as a time for hackers to work on whatever projects they like in a low stress, fun, and collaborative environment. This is a great time for hackers to work on projects from previous events. It’s a chance to learn a new technology.
We will some sweet hardware for you to hack on. We will be posting a list of available items when the event gets closer.
Please make sure to sign up for our Slack team at slack.hackcu.org. This will be our primary method of communication for HackCU. We’ll notify you here about any important information, workshops, food. etc. We have many channels you can join, here are some important ones:
- #announcements: We will be using this to announce our intro talks, food being served and stuff about HackCU.
- #general: Talk about HackCU and get to know each other!
if (message.randomness > 0.5): message.post(#random)
- #formingteams: Post here if you are looking for teammates or a team to join!
- #whatmusicdoyoulike: Have a playlist you’d like to share with hackers? Or a song request?
- #mentors: Mentors will hangout here as well as in our mentor app (mentors.hackcu.org)!
- #random: THE GIPHY channel (jk, say whatever there)
- #looking_for_jobs: Post your Linkedin so that recruiters can find you!
- #twitter: You can see here all our post on Twitter and all conversations we have!
- #food: Have any recommendations for snacks you’d like us to pick up? We’ll also be making anouncements about food and snacks here.
Check out our live page for our most recently updated complete schedule.
Here are some important times to be aware of:
February 23rd (Saturday)
- 8:00 AM - Check-in
- 8:00 AM - Breakfast
- 10:00 AM - Opening Ceremonies
- 11:00 AM - Team Formation & Career fair
- 12:00 PM - Hacking Begins!
- 12:00 PM - Lunch
- 1:00 PM - Intro workshops
- 4:00 PM - Special Event
- 6:00 PM - Dinner
- 11:00 PM - Late Night Dessert
February 24th (Sunday)
- 6:00 AM - Special Event
- 7:30 AM - Breakfast
- 12:00 PM - Lunch
- 12:00 PM - Hacking Ends!
- 12:30 PM - Project Expo!
- 3:00 PM - Closing Ceremonies
We have curated various workshops & events for you to explore.
Check out a list of workshops and side events update in our live page.
To be updated soon
- Team sizes are limited to a maximum of 4 people each
- Join the #formingteams channel on our Slack to meet other hackers and potential team members before the event
- We will also have a team formation event before the hacking begins!
Need Help? Mentors!
All of our mentors will be hanging out at mentors.hackcu.org. Register to ask for help. If you want to help out other hackers let us know. Check out this guide for the app: bit.ly/hackcu_mentorapp.
Please submit your projects on our Devpost by Sunday 24th 12:00 PM. Also remember to opt-in for any sponsor prizes that you are eligible for. Submit early, you can edit your submission!
Our judging will take place expo style. You’ll present your project to the judges and have 2 minutes to demo what you learned and built. You should still demo your project even if you’re not finished.
Connect with Us
Make sure to tag social media posts related to the event with #HackCU. We’ll be featuring your posts and highlights from the event on our Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Links you need!
Check out our FAQ or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org! You can also reach out to us on our Twitter or Facebook.